Life goes on! Behave responsibly and enjoy our destination safely
Rethymno is committed to providing travelers with accurate and timely information about traveling to our city safely. The health and safety of our visitors are our highest priorities. The recovery plan that we all together have to deal with is the current situation with Covid-19, based on a mutual understanding.
Tourism is a bridge between different cultures for a safe and mutual coexistence
Rethymno is an important destination to visit during and after the coronavirus era since it provides visitors many safe choices through the diversity of experiences provided and, of course the successful maintenance of a healthy community during the Covid-19 crisis till now.
In order to learn about the health protection measures that Greece has taken for the visitors of our country, you can visit the website of the Ministry of Tourism and the Greek National Tourism Organization (GNTO) www.greecehealthfirst.gr . There you will find, in 6 languages, reliable and up-to-date information about the health measures and protocols applied in Greece, as well as the appropriate actions, to travel to and from our country.
Beaches are opened, Lay back and relax
Beaches throughout Rethymno are opened for activities such as walking, running, and swimming. Remember that physical distancing 2m away from one another or 10 square meters/person is essential both for everyone's safety and to continue keeping our beaches open. Groups larger than 40 people aren't permitted in an area of 1000sq meters. Gathering in groups, partying, or playing games that violate social distancing guidelines are not permitted.
Do not forget that Rethymno’s long beach with its dunes is a living protected ecosystem and a breeding and nesting place for the Caretta-Caretta sea turtle!
Hotels & Resorts
Rethymno’s Hotels are eager to welcome you. Our highest priority is the safety and well-being of all guests and staff members. In light of the current situation, it’s important for all of us to travel smarter and more consciously.
Starting on June 5 2020 all staff members will take part in a COVID-19 safety/sanitation protocol training. A series of “Health qualification seminars’ organized by the Rethymno hotel association in cooperation with the University of Crete, Department of public health will provide all necessary knowledge on how to manage all required circumstances.
A Certificate of Approval “Health First” is established from the Ministry of Tourism which is mandatory for all tourist accommodations that will operate during 2020.
- Upon arrival, all guests, employees, and vendors are asked to complete a simple screening questionnaire to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Guest check-in has been modified to minimize personal contact, and you'll see protective Perspex glass shields in this area.
- Hand sanitizer is available in all the Hotel areas for guests and employees.
- Rooms will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before new guests arrive.
- All linens and towels will be washed at high temperatures.
- Staff members will clean and disinfect public spaces at the resort multiple times per day, with special emphasis on high-touch/high-traffic areas such as elevator buttons/panels.
- Beach loungers will be spaced out and cleaned between uses. Pools will operate with capacity limits
- Delicious meals can be ordered either at the Hotel restaurant or from Room service with no-contact delivery.
Restaurants, Cafes & Bars
- All restaurants, cafes, and bars will have reduced table capacity with a physical distancing of 70cm – 1.70m and sited 6 chairs unless it’s a whole family
- Tables and booths will be utilized with appropriate physical distancing or as otherwise advised by local authorities.
- Hostesses and managers manage physical distancing at entries, waiting areas, and queues in addition to signage.
- There will be a line flow to ensure coffee and food pick up areas remain appropriately distanced
- Host areas including all associated equipment will be sanitized at least once per hour.
- Menus will be electronic or single-use and disposable.
- Dining tables, bar tops, stools, and chairs will be sanitized after each use.
- All food and beverage items will be placed on the table, counter, slot, or other surfaces instead of being handed directly to a guest.
- Kitchens will be deep cleaned and sanitized at least once per day.
- Single-use containers will be used for Condiments (either disposable or washed after each use).
- Service stations, service carts, beverage stations, counters, handrails, and trays will be sanitized frequently by the manager.
- Trays and tray stands will be sanitized after each use.
For our visitors
COVID-19 is affecting all of us on a global level and it is the responsibility of all of us, locals and visitors, to flatten the curve of the virus. The best ways for everyone to reduce the risk of getting sick, as with seasonal colds or the flu, still applies to prevent COVID-19:
- If you have recently visited a country, state, or region with ongoing COVID-19 infections, monitor your health and follow the instructions of public health officials.
- Before you travel to make sure you are healthy by getting in contact with your personal doctor
During your visit make sure that you:
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds every time you enter your room from outside.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with the inside of the elbow.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Try alternatives to shaking hands, like an elbow bump or wave.
- Outside of your hotel room, please wear masks to prevent yourself and others from getting infected.
- Choose activities or perform tasks to engage in outdoor activity, provided these comply with social distancing requirements, such as cycling, walking, hiking, or running.
- Choose visiting places away from grounded spots such as outdoor historical sites, and public places or facilities that have the required social distancing and sanitation protocols in place.
- Visit and support local restaurants where social distancing and sanitation and health protocols are being strictly applied.
You are visiting a destination with no human losses. You can help us to maintain this privilege following the above traveling alerts responsibly!
For more information and protection instructions for Covid-19, Forest Fires, Earthquakes and Other Extremew, Visit: Civil Protection