Life goes on! Behave responsibly and enjoy our destination safely
Rethymno is committed to providing travelers with accurate and timely information about traveling to our city safely. The health and safety of our visitors are our highest priorities. The recovery plan that we all together have to deal with is the current situation with Covid-19, based on a mutual understanding.
Tourism is a bridge between different cultures for a safe and mutual coexistence
Rethymno is an important destination to visit during and after the coronavirus era since it provides visitors many safe choices through the diversity of experiences provided and, of course the successful maintenance of a healthy community during the Covid-19 crisis till now.
Passenger Locator Form (PLF) for arrivals in Greece
- It is compulsory for all passengers on international flights to fill in the Electronic Passenger Locator Form published in: https://travel.gov.gr at least 24hrs. prior to boarding the aircraft. Administrative fine may be applied by the Hellenic Civil Protection, in case the e-PLF is not filled in.
- Passengers will receive a QR code which will be used by the Hellenic Civil Protection for the identification of random Covid-19 test upon arrival.
- Passengers must hold and be able to demonstrate to the authorities, the QR code on an electronic or printed format, upon arrival.
- Urgent cases for travelling falling in the period of less than 24 hours prior flight, will be examined by Hellenic Authorities per case and acceptance or rejection will be notified to applicants through an email message. Airline are required to check the existence of such a confirmation e-mail prior passenger acceptance for boarding.
Upon arrival in Greece:
- All arriving passengers from international flights are checked and subject to random Covid-19 test by the Hellenic Civil protection personnel, in predefined areas at the arrivals of each airport, according to their QR Code.
- Following the random checks, passengers will be free to travel to their final destination or residence.
- International to Domestic connecting passengers will be randomly checked to Covid-19 test (as per QR code) and then will proceed to Security Control and their departing gate for their final destination where they will have to compulsory self-isolate until the testing outcome is available. If due to the diagnostic test process, the passenger is delayed and as a result fails to board to the next connecting flight, then the passenger will automatically be transferred to the next available flight for the final destination.
- International to International transfer passengers will not go through Covid-19 test and will proceed directly to Security Control and on to their departing gate.
- If the Covid-19 tests are positive, the Hellenic Government Health Services will inform the passengers and instruct them to follow a supervised 14 days Quarantine.
- Administrative Fines (Hellenic Government) apply to passengers not holding the electronic form- QR code.
- Passengers are requested to remain in temporary address/hotel, until the Covid-19 test results are published.
See what our partners are doing to Keep You Safe
Beautiful beaches are opened and our accommodation businesses will start welcoming our visitors again starting May 14, 2021, for hotels, private houses, villas.
You'll find that they are thoughtfully doing everything required for your safety and comfort having in mind to keep visitors and staff safe.
Beaches are opened, Lay back and relax
Beaches throughout Rethymno are opened for activities such as walking, running, and swimming. Remember that physical distancing 2m away from one another or 10 square meters/person is essential both for everyone's safety and to continue keeping our beaches open. Groups larger than 40 people aren't permitted in an area of 1000sq meters. Gathering in groups, partying, or playing games that violate social distancing guidelines are not permitted.
Do not forget that Rethymno’s long beach with its dunes is a living protected ecosystem and a breeding and nesting place for the Caretta-Caretta sea turtle!
Hotels & Resorts
Rethymno’s Hotels are eager to welcome you. Our highest priority is the safety and well-being of all guests and staff members. In light of the current situation, it’s important for all of us to travel smarter and more consciously.
All staff members have taken part in a COVID-19 safety/sanitation protocol training. A series of “Health qualification seminars’ organized by the Rethymno hotel association in cooperation with the University of Crete, Department of public health in order to provide all necessary knowledge on how to manage all required circumstances.
A Certificate of Approval “Health First” is established from the Ministry of Tourism which is mandatory for all tourist accommodations that will operate during 2021.
- Upon arrival, all guests, employees, and vendors are asked to complete a simple screening questionnaire to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Guest check-in has been modified to minimize personal contact, and you'll see protective Perspex glass shields in this area.
- Hand sanitizer is available in all the Hotel areas for guests and employees.
- Rooms will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before new guests arrive.
- All linens and towels will be washed at high temperatures.
- Staff members will clean and disinfect public spaces at the resort multiple times per day, with special emphasis on high-touch/high-traffic areas such as elevator buttons/panels.
- Beach loungers will be spaced out and cleaned between uses. Pools will operate with capacity limits
- Delicious meals can be ordered either at the Hotel restaurant or from Room service with no-contact delivery.
"Health First" Certificate
1. A Certification with the title "Health First" is introduced, which is mandatory for tourist accommodation companies.
2. The Sign is posted in a prominent place in the common reception area of the accommodation and proves that the company complies with the protocols of sanitary content.
3. The preparation of the health content protocol for the main hotel accommodation and the issuance of the Signal is done electronically through a special online application of the FDI. The competent services of the Ministry of Health / EODY can obtain the obligatory contact details for the person in charge of the implementation of the suspected case management plan and the collaborating doctor of similar specialty or experience, where possible, or the provider of primary or secondary health services through any web service. .
4. For non-main hotel accommodation, the Signal is granted by the Ministry of Tourism upon request of the company, through its official website (https://www.mintour.gov.gr/).
5. For the issuance of the Signal, the Regional Tourism Service, in the territorial jurisdiction of which the tourist accommodation operates, is informed by the electronic application https://www.healthfirsttourism.gr/.
1. Tourist accommodation may optionally have quarantine rooms which are used exclusively as a place of isolation for confirmed COVID-19 cases, the clinical condition of which does not require hospital treatment.
2. Rooms that can be used as a place of isolation for confirmed COVID-19 cases, the clinical condition of which does not require hospital treatment, must have the following characteristics, if possible: a. Be a designated area exclusively within a demarcated area for the purpose of isolating confirmed cases. b. To be spatially completely distinct and preferably remote in relation to the rest of the hotel structure, with which it should not share common areas. c. To have a telephone line with 24 hour communication capability for emergencies. d. To be able to medically monitor the cases, as needed, and to ensure immediate access to medical services in cases where the clinical condition of patients requires reassessment or intervention. e. To have well ventilated rooms with private toilet. If adequate natural ventilation is not possible, artificial ventilation should provide 100% fresh air without recycling. f. To have the infrastructure as well as the necessary consumables for the implementation of the personal hygiene measures and the cleanliness and disinfection of the surfaces in the rooms. g. To have a predetermined procedure for changing and cleaning bed linen and other clothing separately from those of the rest of the accommodation, as well as procedures for safe collection of infectious
i. Meal services are provided in the rooms by staff, who leave the meal outside the door of the room.
j. If staff are required to enter the room, staff are advised to bring appropriate personal protective equipment and keep a distance of 1.5 meters from the patient.
Restaurants, Cafes & Bars
- All restaurants, cafes, and bars will have reduced table capacity with a physical distancing of 70cm – 1.70m and sited 6 chairs unless it’s a whole family
- Tables and booths will be utilized with appropriate physical distancing or as otherwise advised by local authorities.
- Hostesses and managers manage physical distancing at entries, waiting areas, and queues in addition to signage.
- There will be a line flow to ensure coffee and food pick up areas remain appropriately distanced
- Host areas including all associated equipment will be sanitized at least once per hour.
- Menus will be electronic or single-use and disposable.
- Dining tables, bar tops, stools, and chairs will be sanitized after each use.
- All food and beverage items will be placed on the table, counter, slot, or other surfaces instead of being handed directly to a guest.
- Kitchens will be deep cleaned and sanitized at least once per day.
- Single-use containers will be used for Condiments (either disposable or washed after each use).
- Service stations, service carts, beverage stations, counters, handrails, and trays will be sanitized frequently by the manager.
- Trays and tray stands will be sanitized after each use.
For our visitors
COVID-19 is affecting all of us on a global level and it is the responsibility of all of us, locals and visitors, to flatten the curve of the virus. The best ways for everyone to reduce the risk of getting sick, as with seasonal colds or the flu, still applies to prevent COVID-19:
- If you have recently visited a country, state, or region with ongoing COVID-19 infections, monitor your health and follow the instructions of public health officials.
- Before you travel to make sure you are healthy by getting in contact with your personal doctor
During your visit make sure that you:
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds every time you enter your room from outside.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with the inside of the elbow.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Try alternatives to shaking hands, like an elbow bump or wave.
- Outside of your hotel room, please wear masks to prevent yourself and others from getting infected.
- Choose activities or perform tasks to engage in outdoor activity, provided these comply with social distancing requirements, such as cycling, walking, hiking, or running.
- Choose visiting places away from grounded spots such as outdoor historical sites, and public places or facilities that have the required social distancing and sanitation protocols in place.
- Visit and support local restaurants where social distancing and sanitation and health protocols are being strictly applied.
For more information and protection instructions for Covid-19, Forest Fires, Earthquakes and Other Extremew, Visit: Civil Protection